Instagram

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

satisfaction

Lately, I've been wondering if I am satisfied with the direction my career is going? There's days when I don't mind where I'm at currently and there are other times when I really could care less. I want to be at that point where no matter the circumstance, I am absolutely loving what I am doing.

Nursing can get a little dark and dreary at times especially when you see all the suffering going on around you. It gets a little depressing. I don't want to get to that point where I am so desensitized to the suffering that everything becomes so routine. I need to sit and re-evaluate.

On a much happier note, summer is just around the corner! I am going to be working throughout the summer but just the thought of sunny days makes me happy! Wherever, you are, I hope you're all having a fabulous day. Thank God that Spring has sprung!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Hey missmaxy. I can relate.how are you doing.

Anonymous said...

No matter how much you love your job, I think there are always going to be days like that - days when you like where you are and days where you really don't care.

Being in health care is tough. It's my line of work too, and someone gave me some advice that may/may not help you: you have to get to the point where you do become a little desensitized to the suffering around you or the pain will wear on you and you'll eventually have a nervous break down. To keep going, you have to keep a little of yourself numb to all the suffering around you.

Yankeenaijababe said...

@Maxine

Summer is till far off, spring is just here. I know how you feeling, don't let it get to you. I don't want you breaking down. Nursing can be tough but you have to be strong to survive each day. Don't let it let you down.

Have a good weekend dearie.

Ghana_Hall_of_Shame said...

It's always a good thing when we evaluate our direction every now-and-then.
You could be in the right field of work but at any given time, be in the wrong position (that position where everything is routine, there is no personal growth and you are working just for the paycheck instead of making a difference).
I'd say start looking into expanding your horizons. Nursing is a broad field and you can find an avenue where you do not have to deal with the raw suffering if that is getting to you.
Desensitizing yourself might not be the way to go because you will sort of be sleep-walking through your work.
BTW, isn't there an oath of compassion or something nurses take?

Mike

Myne said...

All the best as you evaluate and decide. It is an important part of life satisfaction and happiness.

Spring has indeed sprung! have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

@Andrea- Glad you can relate :) Hope you doing great!
@Anonymous- Well said but how can one selectively numb ones self to a certain degree? It's quite the challenge.
@YNC- Feels like summer down here already! I've got to find a way to keep the passion going :)
@Ghana Hall of Shame- Very wise words. Oath of compassion? Compassion will get you so far but empathy on the other hand, that's the real deal:)
@Myne- Thanks!