Instagram

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

hrmph...money

Uhm...so I've been thinking about writing for a while now but I have just been putting it off because there's too much to write about. Sometimes I feel like I think too much about one topic and then when I don't feel like talking about it anymore, I go off on a tangent when that particular topic is not exhausted but I will try to stay on course. So I have realised that a lot of my friends are always complaining about how "broke" they are. Even my very well off friends always complain about being broke when they really are not. I do have issues with that. Why is it so wrong to talk about money? I s'pose if you really do have enough money to take care of yourself or you can ask your parents for some form of support when you are in a bind, you really should not complain and whine when people who are really in need are.

I think growing up, I was always made aware of my parents financial situation. If my father told us he did not have enough money, he was for real and we all understood that. I guess I could say that most of the kids I went to school with were from pretty affluent families and so they probably could not identify with being trully broke. I know people who can just call home and ask for money to be wired to them and it will be done. Just like that...and you know what they do with all that money? Go shopping! Seriously! I guess I could honestly say that my parents are not doing so bad at this moment in their life 'cos they got all our college education out of the way except Evelyn's. I am so proud of my parents for taking care of their own and other people's children especially putting others through school. That must not be so easy!!!

Sometimes I wonder if people's selfish behavior may be a result of getting everything they ever wanted without really having worked for it. A lot of kids I grew up with need to learn the art of giving and helping friends out when they are desperately in need without really expecting anything in return. I think it can be pretty difficult to do but I hope that someday when I make enough money, I can be as generous as people have been towards me. Maybe I can write someone a check for $300-$500 for someone's birthday like SM does!

No comments: